Willis Benner (1910?-1975?) (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index: Willis Benner, 579-16-0652, 4/13/1910-4/1975 (Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg City, Virginia), issued District of Columbia (not sure this is correct)

Joe Crecca (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index:

Luther Goldman (1909-2005) (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Obituary copied from Wikipedia (

Luther Chase Goldman (1909-2005) was an American naturalist and wildlife photographer. Best known for his photographs of endangered species of birds, he was chief photographer of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Luther was born in Washington, D.C., on November 2, 1909. He was fortunate in his younger years to learn nature lore from his father, Edward A. Goldman, an eminent naturalist. In teenage summer months he served as camp boy on research expeditions in Arizona, trapping and preparing specimens of mammals, his early interest, and also gaining field experience with the Predator and Rodent Control Branch of the Bureau of Biological Survey of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

At the University of Maryland he earned a degree in biological sciences and lettered as a football first-string lineman. Three years of field work followed: in Mexico (two winters) for biological investigations of wintering waterfowl, as a member of a party in Baja California to collect mountain sheep (a new subspecies), in Florida, as assistant in Arthur H. Howell's fauna research, and in Arizona for mammal research on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

In 1939, he married his college sweetheart, Mary Elizabeth (Betty) Mulligan. That year, too, was the beginning of his 20-year career as manager of national wildlife refuges at the new Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge in California.

Luther's intense interest in ornithology and in wildlife photography developed early as a result of living in remote areas with poor access to good film developing and printing sources. He took up his own darkroom work and began documenting required narrative reports to the Washington D.C office with 8" x 10" prints. His illustrations attracted immediate attention, and copies of his photographs began to appear on the covers of Bureau reports and elsewhere.

In 1941, he attended the first In Training School on Bureau procedures and activities at Patuxent Research Refuge in Laurel, Maryland. He spent months on a one-man biological reconnaissance prior to establishment of the Imperial and Havasu National Wildlife Refuges on the lower Colorado River in Arizona.

Development plans for the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge were put on hold due to unstable conditions of the Sea's water table. In 1942, Luther transferred to New Mexico to manage the Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge. Along with normal refuge activities was an engineering project to change the course of the Pecos River for control of bank erosion. At night, only the bright lights of the far off German prisoner-of-war camp could be seen. Entering active duty in the U.S. Army in 1943, Luther served for three years as entomologist.

Upon his return to civilian life he was offered three choices in wildlife refuge management. He seized the opportunity to research and develop the two new national wildlife refuges on the Texas-Mexico border in the Rio Grande Valley-- the 45,000-acre (180 km2) Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge and the 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge. The next 12 years (1947-59) were filled with excitement and challenges. In Wild America, co-authored with Roger Tory Peterson after their 30,000-mile (48,000 km) birding expedition around North America, James Fisher wrote of him, "Luther is one of the best field men I have ever encountered."

After the aforementioned 20 years on western refuges (including Army service), Luther accepted a position in the Washington Office as assistant chief, Section of Wildlife Management in the Branch of Wildlife Refuges. He, Betty, and their son, Edward, moved to College Park, Maryland. He served on many panels and teams, including Secretary Udall's Eagle Survey Team, which resulted in new restrictions on poisoning, trapping, and aerial hunting of eagles in the U.S.

Later, his abilities in wildlife photography led to his appointment as the Bureau's chief photographer and curator of the extensive photo files, for which he photographed endangered species and field activities. He received a certificate of commendation for his photography in the publication of Interior's Birds in Our Lives.

Through these years, his many other biological and photographic duties included consultation on scientific matters and representing the Division of Wildlife Refuges at the Mountain Sheep Conference in Hermocillo, Mexico. In cooperation with the National Aeronautical Space Administration and the Atomic Energy Commission, Luther photographed wildlife on Amchitka Island, Alaska, to determine the effect of subterranean atomic bomb blasts on surface fauna and wildlife on the Kenai Peninsula. With Dr. Donald Aldrich and artist Bob Hines, he selected and arranged the annual showing of Duck Stamp art entries for judges' selection of the contest winner. On the U.S.-Canadian team to secure whooping crane eggs from the Northwest Territories, Canada, Luther photographed the operation from the air and on the ground and wrote an account for the Bureau publication In-Sight (40,000 copies reprinted for wide distribution). He made a second trip for team egg-pickup in 1974. With Dr. Aldrich, he made a six-year study and photographic record of the bald eagle from nestling to adult to determine its age when acquiring complete white head and tail feathers. Prior to the California condors' disappearance in the wild, in cooperation with the National Wildlife Federation, Luther photographed them in the mountains of Sespe National Sanctuary, northeast of Los Angeles. He created slide shows concerning endangered species for use by the Regional and Washington Offices, as well as on loan to the general public.

His photographs have hung in the U.S. Capitol, State Department, museums in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the library of Peter Scott at Slimbridge, and are widely used in publications of the federal government and National Geographic Society and in books by conservation authors.

Retiring in 1974 after 35 years of government service, he led many natural history tours, both in the National Capitol area as well as abroad, including such places as Trinidad & Tobago. He was honored by both the Montgomery County Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society and the Prince George's County Audubon Society, highlighting the contributions he made to them and to the cause of wildlife preservation in general.

He was elected to membership in the Washington Biologists' Field Club in 1960 and was chairman of Books and Photographs Committee. When The Members and History of the Washington Biologists' Field Club was revised in 1984 and the Supplement in 1993, Luther supplied the photographs, printing many from old negatives (some glass plates) and developing and printing new ones. In 1996, he was selected to become an honorary member.

Luther lived with his wife, Betty, for many years in their home in College Park, Maryland, until her death in 2002. He continued to live alone and be very active with birding projects. Luther died at age 95 in Lanham, Maryland, on January 12, 2005, after a short illness. Luther was one of the most popular and active members of the Washington Biologists' Field Club and attended an oyster roast on Plummers Island on October 30, 2004, just three days before his 95th birthday.

Social Security Death Index: Luther C. Goldman, 11/3/1909-1/12/2005 (20740 College Park, Prince Georges, Maryland, USA), issued District of Columbia

Frank Hawkins (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index: unknown

Don Hay (1912-1978) (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Obituary: The Washington Star, 1978

D. A. Hay, Headed Construction Firm.

Donald A. Hay, 66, a builder of homes and offices here for 40 years, died of cancer Saturday at the Washington Hospital Center.

He founded hs construction business, Donald A. Hay Inc., in 1938 and returned to it after World War II service as a lieutenant in the Navy's Civil Engineering Corps.

Among his projects were the Triangle Building in Wheaton adn Legation House near Chevy Chase circle.

A Washington native and graduate of Central Hish School, he received an engineering degree from the University of Maryland.

He was president of the Shepherd Park Lions Club, and a member of several business, professional and social organizations. He was an inventor who held several patents.

Survivors include his wife, Dolly, of the home in Bethesda, a son, Robert, of Laytonsville, Md, three daughters, Marilyn Westin of Cupertino, Calif., Judy Anne Speary, of Barnesville, Md. and Donna Lloyd of Pittsburgh, and seven grandchildren. Mr. Hay's first wife, Eleanor, died in 1974.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the American Cancer Society.

Social Security Death Index: Donald Hay, 579-14-6251, 6/19/1912-10/1978 (20034 Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, Maryland), issued District of Columbia

Dick Nelson (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index:

Johnny Simpson (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index:

Norwood Sotheron (1911-2005) (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Social Security Death Index: Norwood S. Sothoron, 9/9/1911-2/4/2005 (20653 Lexington Park, Saint Marys, Maryland), issued Maryland

Tommy Webb (1912-2003) (picture 1932 team University of Maryland)

Obituary copied from!topic/alt.obituaries/cJxmmlmFtU8

Thomas D. Webb, FBI Agent, Lobbyist Helped Win Rights To 'Hail To The Redskins', 90

Thomas Daugherty Webb Jr., a former FBI agent and power lobbyist who looked after the Washington DC interests of Texas multimillionaire Clint W. Murchison Jr. for 30 years, died of congestive heart failure March 21, 2003, at a hospital in Star Valley, Wyoming, at the age of 90.

As Murchison's representative in Washington, Mr. Webb played a role in obtaining the rights for the Washington Redskins to the team's fight song, "Hail to the Redskins," in exchange for the support by Redskins ownership of the entry of the Dallas Cowboys into the National Football League.

From 1952 until the 1980s, Mr. Webb handled the Washington financial and legal interests of the Murchison family businesses, which included oil and gas operations, construction and other endeavors, including the Dallas Cowboys.

A former center on the University of Maryland football team, Mr. Webb was said to be the founding father of the Washington chapter of the Dallas Cowboys fan club and annually hosted an extravagant pregame party when the Cowboys played the Redskins in Washington. Only when they played the Cowboys did he root against the Redskins, he said.

Invariably these Redskins-Cowboys games were accompanied by a variety of pranks and escapades inspired by Mr. Webb, including, on one occasion, the riding of a horse into Duke Zeibert's restaurant on L Street NW and, another time, a plot -- thwarted at the last minute -- to release a flock of chickens on the field of what then was called D.C. Stadium.

In the 1950s, when the Cowboys were petitioning for an NFL franchise, they faced formidable opposition from Redskins owner George Preston Marshall, who feared that a team in Dallas would encroach on the southern fan base that had traditionally been exclusive Washington Redskin territory.

But Mr. Webb had been a classmate at Washington's Western High School of Barnee Breeskin, who with Marshall's ex-wife, Corinne Griffith Marshall, had written "Hail to the Redskins" in 1938. In 1959, Mr. Webb acquired from Breeskin his rights to the song, which he then turned over to Murchison. In January 1960, after having bitterly opposed an NFL expansion, Marshall did an about-face and voted to admit the Dallas Cowboys to the NFL.

"I made a deal with young Clint Murchison," Marshall told Morris Siegel, the late Washington Star columnist, in 1960. "I told him I would vote for him if he got his man in Washington, Webb, to let me have his rights to MY song. Murchison agreed." At the time, Marshall had already obtained from his ex-wife her share of the rights to the song.

Mr. Webb was born in Statesville, N.C., and came to Washington as teenager. He played football and golf at Western High School and won a football scholarship to Maryland, where in 1933 he was a center on the last team coached by H.C. (Curly) Byrd, who later became president of the university.

During the 1930s, he served in the Marine Corps Reserve and studied law at George Washington University. In 1939, he passed the D.C. bar exam and shortly thereafter became a special agent of the FBI. His career included tracking down bank robbers in Colorado and Wyoming and running a training center at Quantico for police officers and Marines.

At the request of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, he took the Duke and Duchess of Windsor to a target range for a shooting demonstration. His last FBI post was special assistant to the director.

As Murchison's man in Washington, Mr. Webb was described as irrepressible and effusive, with a network of powerful and well-connected friends. He was known as an enthusiastic party-giver and especially as the host of a men-only extravaganza at his home in Potomac with a guest list of about 350 business and political leaders who dined on such fare as wild boar, Alaskan brown bear, venison, buffalo, wild duck and goose.

In the early 1990s, he moved to Wyoming.

Social Security Death Index: Thomas D. Webb, 557-40-4237, 10/2/1912-3/21/2003 (Thayne, Lincoln, Wyoming), issued Washington DC

Email Donna Hay at with questions, additions or corrections.